LF: CRUNCH method

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: CRUNCH method
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:00:08 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Bill et al--
Re your CRUNCH algorithm:
Why not downconvert to zero frequency and preserve I/Q pairs in the
positive and negative frequency domains, rather than a 'low' frequency
that determines the audio tone and could be subject to alliassing
effects.  Then you only need to low pass the resulting samples at half
the wanted bandwidth to effect an input bandpass function.  Decimation
to lower the sampling rate is straightforward if wanted, just by taking
one sample out of every N.  Upconversion to any other frequency is then
performed in an SSB upconverter by multiplying I/Q pairs with SIN / COS
to just give the one sideband.

Regard the zero IF samples as being speeded up by nominating (labelling)
the value of the sample rate accordingly, multiply by SIN / COS pairs of
the centre frequency you want to listen at, sampled at this new sampling
rate, and store as a .WAV file.

A similar technique I wrote for off air signal analysis records a chunk
of spectrum filtered in the receiver to 16kHz, sampled at 44100Hz to an
input .WAV file. By selecting centre frequencies and signal bandwidths
of interest, then downconverting / decimating as above to decode
multiple channels simultaneously.  The result is a software receiver
than can decode (not in real time of course) arbitrarily narrow channel
bandwidths at any suitable sampling rate at sub-multiples of 44100 Hz
which can then be passed on to demodulators etc.

Andy  G4JNT