LF: Re:amplifiers

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re:amplifiers
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 18:52:52 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Andy Wrote:
>The parasitic diode is no good in this configuration for catching the
>spikes from what I call the transient soak choke, I use separate clamp
>diodes up to the rails effectively 'crosing over' the centre tapped choke
>- see the circuit in the new LF Experimenters Book.

I think this is the main function of the "transient soak" chokes in the Decca design - diverting the current into the fast diodes rather than through the Mosfet diodes during the switching transient. There is not much chance of cross conduction through the mosfets, since the transformer coupled gate circuit inherently prevents the gate drive from overlapping.
Johan wrote: ........Current switching and Voltage switching.
Full and half H-bridges (the Decca TX has this configuration I guess?) are
voltage switching amplifiers where the drain voltage is a square wave and
the fundamental frequency energy is sucked out by a series resonant
circuit to the load.

The Decca design is indeed a voltage-switching full bridge - but the series resonant tank circuit has a high impedance everywhere except the output frequency, so it won't see a capacitive load at the harmonics - mine seems quite happy running into a 2 x pi section low pass filter. There are some fairly nasty looking spikes which seem to be produced by the drive circuit that reach the output one way or another otherwise - although I'm not sure if they are actually there, or just being coupled into the output monitor wiring, which runs through one of the PA compartments.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU