Re: LF: VE1ZZ " O O O" at 2305z

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VE1ZZ " O O O" at 2305z
From: "John Currie" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 00:01:55 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Peter.  I believe  10 second dashes were seen by G0MRF   right after I first
had the xband  qso with Dave I called Jack VE1ZZ on landline and he came on .
Dave heard his 10 second dashes but Jack  did not have qrss cap then and all he
sent was the dashes.  I'm 99 % certain you were the first to receive and
identify  and record  a North American stn in Eu on 136 kHz.   Agn
congratulations es gl with 2 way
      Jack and MM0ALM will also be trying for 2 way with regular cw  I believe
MM0ALM  put up a larger antenna today

      73 es gl with tests tonight  John VE1ZJ

Peter Dodd wrote:

Alan said:
> Jack is there with a good signal now the noise is down here, a good
> "0" on QRSS, copiable on 'gram with timescale 750msecs and averaging 5, in
> 0.3Hz bw.

When I received VE1ZZ I was using Spectran in a low resolution mode
(470 - 540Hz). The reason for that was I was not sure how close  the
transmission would be to the stated frequency. As luck would have it
the signal was clearly readable at that resolution and I was loath to
change it until I had the full callsign and had it recorded.
It might be the first time (21/21/00 at 0030UTC) a clearly
idendifyable call has been received this side of the Atlantic from
North America on 136kHz but I guess you can put me right.
I do not have a web page but it could be put on Dave's or Rik's web
page if it is regarded as sufficiently important.

Last night I missed the main opening at 2300 because (and you may
have difficulty envisaging this!) it is our 'Come Dancing' night. I
switched on at 0015 and saw only Loran lines. Later a very strong
signal came on frequency and played some musical notes. Later a QRSS
signal appeared but only R 'T'.

--
Regards, Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>