LF: Antenna Wire

To: "RSGB LF Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Antenna Wire
From: "Tom Boucher" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:15:47 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Larry & all

My 1100 ft horizontal long wire is made from 32 X 0.2mm thin wall PVC
covered, 10 amp plain annealed copper wire, Arrow Stock No: 438095B,
cost 30.42 pounds per 500m reel.

Maximum length between halyards was about 200 feet or so and this stayed
up without trouble for 8 months. However, I foolishly disposed of one
halyard which resulted in a run of around 400 feet which did not last,
and with the winds of late, have been unable to keep it up in the air.

Current plan is to replace halyards, limiting maximum span to 200 ft and
stick with the same wire which seems to be relatively strong and light
weight. If that doesn't work, perhaps try a thicker wire - Arrow have 21
X 0.3mm at GBP46/500m or 28 X 0.3 at GBP54/500m - unless someone comes
up with a better idea.

Brian, where did you obtain your alumin(i)um wire?

73, Tom G3OLB.