LF: CFH and solar event??

To: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: CFH and solar event??
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 16:21:54 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi All, as a result of some converstaions with Brian CT1DRP I have
determined that CFH the Canadian Navy station located at Halifax in Nova
Scotia is back on air again. The reason I missed it, was that at this time
of year it only becomes 'visible' after about 2400z. A couple of nights
monitoring has confirmed to my satisfaction that the FSK (I think!) signal
on 137 is our old friend, back on a new state-of-the-art transmitter. The
profile of the appearance and peaks correlates well with the darkness path
and what we know from monitoring earlier in the year. The modulation looks
different to that which we saw transmitted between Jan 2000 and its switch
off in May. It now looks more like the signal I saw in the first half of
1999 before it was switched off at the end of August.

So far so good......now for the real excitement!!  By chance at 1449z today
I noticed that there was an FSK signal visible on FFTDSP4 on exactly 137.00
+/_42.5 Hz shift FSK. I dont know when it appeared first but by 1459z is had
faded into the noise at this location. This looks very much like flare
activity that has been reported before by Larry I think. Does anyone have
the solar information. I suspect I missed anything up to 20 to 30 minutes of
the event, which would put the particle cloud arrival at about 1420z to
1430, probably timing the event on the sun to sometime Wednesday. Ironically
the only station heard on the band was G8RW pumping away unanswered CQs.

Now that CFH is back it looks as though we might have a warning signal of
these events if we can get reports of the likely flares posted to the
reflector in time.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK  JO02PB
[email protected]