Re: LF: 'Dyed in the wood CW'

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 'Dyed in the wood CW'
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 16:15:59 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
>From Dave G3YMC

There has been some stinging comment on here in recent days on 'dyed in
the wood' CW operators, which perhaps I have to admit to being.  The
implication is that if you persue such modes you are a little dated and
should be using fancy digital thingemy modes these days.
[cut]
Let us stop the bickering - if you want to develop high tech DSP
algorithms etc that is fine, however please accept that some wish to use
normal amateur techniques as well.

Who are you calling abnormal! Seriously, though, as a very keen CW operator (I do have a microphone but you'd have to give me a day's notice to find it), the really encouraging thing about LF is that it has demonstrated many of the benefits of this fine old mode - low bandwidth, tolerant of low S/N ratio, simple to execute, and good fun. Several regular ops have re-learned Morse simply to use the band. It will be a long time before the more complex modes match every one of those advantages, even if they excel at one or two.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm