LF: Puckeridge Expedition, 20th/21st May

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Puckeridge Expedition, 20th/21st May
From: "'Geri' Kinzel, DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:33:25 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Jim,

I want to thank you for the experiment you carried. out. Maybe you noticed,
that some of the stations usually giving at least a listener's report, but
sometimes an accuracte field strength report (like myself) have neither
tried to call you nor given you any acknoledgment of having heard you.

Well, in a way you picked the "wrong" weekend. We had a very nice
inter-German LF meeting last weekend in Nuernberg. Walter, DJ2LF hosted
myself and Markus, DF6NM on Friday night, and Markus organized a wonderful
barbeque on Saturday afternoon after the Nuernberg flee-market
"Flotronica". We also met Wolf, DF2PY (remember, the guy with the big
signal) and some other LF enthusiasts (yes, I was wearing my famous
t-shirt) during the rallye. Gamal also was present during the bbq, and we
had all spend some wonderful time together discussing the LF situation in
general and specifically in Germany. Throughout a mwasurment system with my
1m-loop and the MV62 level meter mounted in my car, we measured Walters ERP
to be about 6 mW, and Markus' ERP to be around 10 mW (my own ERP: 30 mW).
This again showed me that we all tend to over-estimate our ERP when we
simply follow the I^2 x Resistance approach.

Besides buying some old ceramics on the rally, I got hold of another
wonderful Adret synthesizer, which covers 0 to 1 MHz in 1 Hz steps, at an
output of 100 mW@50 Ohms (so to speak a complete QRP transmitter for LF
...).
So, all in all a very nice weekend, making new friends and getting new
insights into the operation conditions of our QSO partners. But we missed
your tests, Jim, sorry for that.

Best 73

Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)