LF: QRN & CW / Commercial CW on LF

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: QRN & CW / Commercial CW on LF
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 13:06:23 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,
My homebrew RX has no AGC - instead, I use an audio clipping circuit with a variable threshold, which is quite good at reducing the effect of QRN, both for normal and QRSS CW. I adjust it so that the wanted signal is not quite clipped, but the much larger QRN impulses are. I found it was more effective to put the clipper before the narrow audio filter I sometimes use. Of course, there are limits to what you can expect from this type of circuit - at my QTH lately, the static crashes seem to be merging into one big crackle!

Regarding non-amateur CW cignals heard on LF, this morning at about 1015utc, on 18.20kHz I was suprised to hear VVV VVV VVV VTX3 several times, interspersed with figures and letter groups, all in plain CW. The signal was about 569. I am sure someone has mentioned this station before, but can't think where - any ideas?

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU