LF: qsl info

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: qsl info
From: "g3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 17:12:17 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
If anyone that I have worked recently from GI requires a qsl card pse
send your card via G3KEV    direct and I will return one direct. I was
only running qrp for testing purposes and the best dx was
SM6PXJ plus some other EU and best G dx was G3BDQ on the south coast
plus 3 GW stns.
The equipment for the trip was :-
RX - TS 570/250 hz cw filter/and dsp facility down to 50 hz bw plus
external dsp unit down to 10 hz bw.
TX - a few  watts.
Antenna - 2 x inv L each one 120 feet vertical and over 300 ft horiz.
Ground system - 4 insulated radials each over 300 ft long and elevated
above ground, the far end of each connected to metal latice sheep fence
that runs for miles across fields. Big sheep and cattle country.

The qth is rural and very quiet apart from the odd rain static. No
problems on RX. I could hear the proverbial pin drop.
I did also listen and work MI0AYZ/GI3PDN xband on 73 khz and again 73 is
so quiet. I did hear
a  couple of others on 73 khz with very good signals trying to work
MI0AYZ/GI3PDN but he was struggling due to RX problems both on 73 and
136 khz. The only qso that took place while I was listening was with
G3YXM. That was probably a first on 73 khz.
My qth near Cookstown is further west than AYZ or PDN.
On my next visit I intend to extend the antenna system by adding one or
possibly two more inv   L antennas at the same 120 ft height but top
will be at least 600 ft long for each. I will be testing QRO at the  1w
erp level for Nov translantic tests, hopefully I will be able to make a
qso across to W/VE when the time comes or maybe before.
After testing various vertical systems, I find that the inv L approach
is best, with all the L top sections spaced as far as possible from each
other around 360 degrees at the top and tapering down vertically to a
common point at the top of the loading/matching inductor. This works
well for 100/120 ft towers in my case and probably higher towers.
Thanks to all that called me and had a qso. I was only qrp and do
realise that those using small loops and low long wires dangling or
touching the ground did not have much chance.
73 de Mal/G3KEV