LF: Fw: Operation from ex-Decca station at Puckeridge 2

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Fw: Operation from ex-Decca station at Puckeridge 2
From: "Dick Rollema" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:56:05 +0200
Cc: "Jaap Kroon, PA0IF" <[email protected]>, "Pieter Bruinsma, PA0PHB" <[email protected]>, "Koos Fockens, PA0KDF" <[email protected]>, "Hans Peltzer" <[email protected]>, "Ger van Went, PA0GER" <[email protected]>
Sender: <[email protected]>
To All from PA0SE

This is an addition to my report of Sunday April 16, 22.13, here repeated.

The shape of a vertical aerial has a lot of influence on the reactive part of the impedance at the feedpoint but the real ("Ohmic") part only depends on the height of the aerial and hardly on its shape. This makes it possible to find the radiation resistance of the ex-Decca mast at Puckeridge by computer modelling, only using its height of 325 feet.

We find Rrad = 0.641 Ohms on 137 kHz and Rrad = 0.175 Ohms on 72 kHz.

The aerial current was given as 9A.

This results in a radiated power of:

Prad = 9 * 9 * 0.641 = 52W on 137 kHz

Prad = 9 * 9 * 0.175 = 14.2W on 72 kHz

This is within a few dB of the values found from field strength measurement by Geri, DK8KW and myself, assuming a radio path over perfect ground.

In the modelling no top loading was assumed. >From the description of the mast it seems some form of top loading is actually present: wires extending from the top of the mast down to the surface. When these are connected to the top of the mast that seems to be quite wrong as the current flowing via the wires is in opposite direction to the current in the mast, counteracting the field radiated by the mast.
But the boys at RACAL-DECCA certainly must have known what they were doing. It would be interesting if we could obtain some more info on this matter.

The discrepancy between radiated power found by calculation and from field strength measurement is much smaller than in the case of amateur installations, as reported by SM6PXJ, DK8KW, M0BMU, PA0SE ans possibly others.
The same is the case for the measurements by Gamal and Geri of the field of DCF139.
This confirms the earlier expressed opinion that in amateur stations quite a bit of power is lost by radiation into the ground and absorption in surrounding objects.
In commercial installations the situation - extensive earth mat, unobstructed view - is much more like the ideal one used for the CCIR curves: power radiated from a short vertical aerial over perfect ground.

73, Dick, PA0SE