LF: 73kHz update

To: "lfgroup" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: 73kHz update
From: "kate moore" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:13:25 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Many thanks to Alan, Jim and Rik for the reports so far on my 73kHz
signals, which are much appreciated. I still have some work to do to
optimise everything, especially improving the 136kHz receive performance
when everything is set up for 73kHz. It may be a few days before I am
able to achieve any DX crossband QSOs, but in the meantime I would be
grateful for all reports and comments on the 73kHz transmissions whilst I
try things out. Andy - if you still have any of those larger relays, I would be interested
in one......

I am presently getting a fraction over 2 Amps antenna current on the lower
band, and my frequency will be mainly 71.735kHz (unless I use the old
VFO, which does drift a little). If this frequency causes difficulty, I
might be able to pull the crystal up to .740, but it may be sluggish there
so I will keep it where it is for the time being.

Last night (Tues) at 17.51UT I made my first 2-way normal speed QSO on
73kHz with G3YXM - thanks Dave! Although in itself this is no great
achievement, we did manage Q5 copy both ways through the dreadful Rugby
QRM which was S9 at both ends, so I was more than happy. Hopefully Rugby
will take the occasional break so I will have a chance to work the rest of
you who are transmitting on the band.

                      Regards  John G4GVC