Re: LF: Re: Low loss inductors

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Low loss inductors
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 15:37:59 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 3/1/00 2:29:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

<< So Q = 1722/4.46 = 386, which is somewhat better than your conventional coil. >>

If someone actually performs such a measurement (I hope someone can; math is wonderful and theory is indispensible, but the only way to see if theory is being applied correctly is to test a hypothesis under controlled, repeatable conditions) I think we'll find it to be significantly worse, not better. For one thing, the DC resistance of the center conductor will be found to be somewhat greater than 4.46 ohm in practice, and effective resistance at RF is invariably higher than for DC. For another, as I believe Rik ON7YD has already pointed out, dielectric loss cannot be dismissed as insignificant at these frequencies, considering the lengths of cable involved and the additional loss that results from operating under deliberately-induced high SWR conditions.

73,
John