LF: Re: LF Antenna Radiation

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: LF Antenna Radiation
From: "Dick Rollema" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:14:15 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
To All from PA0SE

Jim, M0BMU, wrote
Comparing these calculated field strengths with the measured
values shows that the actual field stength is about 7.5dB down on
the calculated field strength. Increasing the height of the antenna
gives an increase in field strength of 2.8dB, close to that predicted
by the radiation resistance formula.

My experience is the same, calculating power into the aerial from the radiation resistance of the aerial (found by computer modelling) and the aerial current and measuring the field strength at a distance of more than 3 km. I cannot remember whether the discrepancy was also 7.5 dB but it was considerable.

The other possibility is the vertical directional pattern of the
antenna. An ideal short monopole over perfect ground has field
proportional to the cosine of the elevation angle, ie. maximum at
ground level and zero straight up. As others have discussed,
imperfect ground results in a null in the radiation pattern at ground
level. If the maximum radiation occurs at 20 degrees elevation, you
would have to position the measuring antenna at a height of 1400
metres at 4.2km distance in order to measure it.

As I understand it (but I am not an expert on propagation matters) the power at low angles not contained in the lower part of the vertical radiation pattern is the power that goes into the surface wave. Over a perfect ground the surface wave could not exist.
I checked this by computer modelling the field at a distance where the near field would be negligible, so what remains in the total field is the sum of the direct wave, the wave reflected against the earth (these two almost cancel each other due to the 180° phase change at the reflection point and the almost equal path lengths at grazing angles) and the surface wave. The field remained of the same strength up to at least 2 km.

Vaino, OH2LX, by measuring field strength using an aircraft, also found that field strength hardly changes with height.

He also gave as his opinion that finding ERP by measuring field strength is almost impossible.

I wonder how the authorities do it in countries where ERP is limited and not transmitter output, as in the Netherlands?

It seems that The Mystery of the Missing Decibels remains unsolved for the time being.

73, Dick, PA0SE

JO22GD