Re: LF: 8 kHz loading coil and 73kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 8 kHz loading coil and 73kHz
From: "Peter Dodd" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:50:56 GMT
Sender: <[email protected]>

> I have an idea of resonating my existing vertical on 8 kHz.
> Is there a practical way to construct a 600 mH loading coil, withstanding
> 3-4 A and high voltage? Any *large* toroids on the market?'
> /Christer
> sm6pxj

Are we locked into HF thinking here? Why not use an iron cored inductor such as the output transformer from a QRO valve audio amplifier? Mike, G3XDV

Although an output transformer might be fine for a matching transformer it would not be suitable for a loading coil because of the high voltage across it. It might be more practical to use several coils in series with the lowest one being a variometer.

On 136kHz I now use a variometer and coil designed for 500kHz with the additional inductance mounted in a weather proof enclosure outside the shack. On 73kHz I use the variometer and 136kHz loading inductance inside the shack with an additional inductance outside the shack, thereby spreading the voltage gradiant over this three-stage booster.
On 8 kHz this could be taken the necessary stages further.

Whichever way you play it you will need a lot of wire!

While on the subject of 73kHz I hope to be on tomorrow at the bottom of the band before 1000UTC

Regards, Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>