LF: Long Wave Broacasts

To: "lf, AMRAD" <[email protected]>, "RSGB-LF" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Long Wave Broacasts
From: "Andre' Kesteloot" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 09:55:37 -0500
Cc: "F1TAY, Daniel" <[email protected]>
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello LFers,

As you may recall, when we were in Nags Head two weeks ago, we could
hear both "France Inter" on 162 KHz and "Europe1" on 183 KHz, often
with great clarity, but not always at the same time. It also seemed to
me that Europe 1 usually was weaker than France Inter, and tended to
fade out earlier, and deeper.

Looking at some recently received information from Daniel F1TAY,

a) Europe1 (1.4MW) is situated half-way between the towns of
Luxembourg and Strasbourg, (06 degrees  40 minutes East; 49 deg. 17
min North) about 700 Km from the ocean. It uses a directional antenna,
concentrating its power in a south-westerly direction (220 degrees)
This would place its main lobe toward Rio de Janeiro !
(Their web site also states that their ground is made of 195
Kilometers of 3mm copper wire...)

b) France Inter (2MW) is located near Bourges (02 deg 12 min. East; 47
deg. 10 minutes North), almost at the geographical center of France,
and only about 300 kilometers from the ocean (Hence less attenuation
over ground) . It presumably uses an ominidirectional antenna

Considering the above, I am amazed we could hear Europe1 that well.
This is all to the good, of course.
73
Andre' N4ICK (totally snowbound in 14 inches of the stuff)