LF: Galveston NDB

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Galveston NDB
From: "Holger 'Geri', DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 03:23:57 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello friends,

John (KD4IDY) wrote:

The Galveston NDB is a good example.  I haven't seen the facility myself,
but
I've talked with people who have seen it.  If I remember correctly, it is
bit taller than average, but is very heavily top loaded as you suggest,
and
with a serious ground system in highly conductive soil. I'm sure it does have quite a bit of high-angle radiation, but the key to its success is
the
powerful groundwave, and the skywave component immediately above ground.

Some questions:

- what is the exact frequency of the Galveston beacon?
- is it worth to try to receive it here in Europe? Has it been heard over
here?
- does anyone have the exact geographical location of the NDB? I will be
staying a couple of days in that area by end of February, so with the help
of my GPS system I might be able to have a look

Best 73

Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)
http://www.qru.de