LF: Re: SIGNAL

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: SIGNAL
From: "Steve Olney" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 08:44:31 +1100
Sender: <[email protected]>
G'day All,

I think Kev has a good point here:-

Another consideration is a person that has asymmetrical ears.!!! There
could be 2 S points difference in your report depending whether he is
listening to the left or right. All these anomalies should be declared
in a QSO.

We should extend the RST to include perhaps L for left ear, R for right ear,
HAL for hearing aid left ear, HAR for hearing aid right ear.  (Perhaps even
HAR HAR for a hearing aid in the right ear and listening to comedy sketch
with the left ear).

I also think we should modify the QRSS reporting system in a similar
fashion.  I suggest ARE for astigmatism right eye and ALE for astigmatism
left eye. (and ALE^2 if you have astigmatism in the left eye and are under
the influence).

For contesting there should an inverse multiplier.   If you have 20/20
vision then you obviously have an unfair advantage over others and so you
should be penalised.   There should be special modifiers for different
occupations of the receiving party.   For example, if you were a pirate by
trade, you should receive probably the largest help.   After all, conducting
a QSO with a patch over one eye, a parrot squawking in one ear and hopping
on one leg with a funny hat on your head must be worth some compensation!!!
Perhaps designated as LJS for Long John Silver.

I await your serious consideration of these suggestions.

Regards Steve Olney

VK2ZTO/AXSO/ALE^2