LF: Grounds/ERP

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Grounds/ERP
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 17:08:34 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,
Was very interested to read G3LDO's piece about antenna comparisons - it seems that the most important factor for DX operation on 136kHz may ultimately be the ground, rather than the antenna. People seem to be of the opinion that the M0BMU signal is quite good considering my small antenna - the ground here is heavy clay, which stays very wet just below the surface even in summer, which might be a factor in my favour. As G3XDV pointed out some time ago, it is also within a couple of hundred metres of the edge of the Brookmans Park MF broadcast site, and may benefit from their ground system.

Can anybody enlighten me as to the exact defenition of ERP - calculation of the radiated power from antenna current and geometry is one thing, but is it the same as ERP in the amateur LF allocation licence conditions?

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU