Re: LF: PA0SE and DK8KW field strength observations combined

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: PA0SE and DK8KW field strength observations combined
From: "'Geri' Kinzel, DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:48:09 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello YL or OM,

regarding the actual 1 W ERP discussion I have got another one:

have a look at
       http://www.qru.de/signals.html

and go down to Figure 4 (the last graph on that page, if it doesn't appear,
press the "reload" button).
Following Alan's (G3NYK) advise, this graph has a logarithmic scale for the
distance (Excel is such a nice program to play around with). Also,
according a suggetsion of Alan, I have changed the dB to distance ratio to
20 dB per decade. This fits very well with the upper envelope of all ham
stations heard, and also it fits well to the commercials.

Well, it all depends on what ERP the commercials have (we discussed that
earlier, I know), but the best signal report I can give to the strongest of
you is 55 dB below any of the commercials. So, even if we assume that the
DLF on 153 kHz has 100 kW, this would mean that none of you comes even
close to 1 Watt ERP, but you are even 5 dB below that. DCF39 probably even
only has 25 kW ERP ...

This would probably mean that none of our amateur antenna has the
efficiency we believe it would have ... so all you guys with 1 Watt ERP
allowance, start to build PAs or raise your antennas ...

Some food for thought!

vy 73

Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)

P.S.: don't forget my father butz: [email protected] (see my previous
message:"Can you do me a favour?")