Re: LF: PA0SE and DK8KW field strength observations combined

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: PA0SE and DK8KW field strength observations combined
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:59:27 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
DK8KW wrote:
On the other hand, there is Vaino's (OH2LX) comment, that according to his
long-lasting experience it is not possible to estimate a station's ERP
from the field strength at a far distance ...

Well, that's the point I was trying to find out. I wondered whether I could calculate my ERP from your graph, and plainly I could not. But is this Vaino's theory, or something else. If we could sort this one out, it would validate (or more likely quantify) Mal's comment that 1W ERP from a small antenna will be worse than the same ERP from a large one - at a distance of course.

All very interesting indeed. Although some people dislike the league table approach, I personally find these measurements very useful in my own ongoing efforts to get a good signal out of a small garden. And comparing my efforts to those of other people is a good way to keep up my enthusiasm to do better.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm