Re: LF: Re: AMRAD Antenna ?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: AMRAD Antenna ?
From: "Ko Versteeg" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:15:16 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Sorry but i forgot to include this fine program,
found at:
http://ham.te.hik.se/~sm5bsz/pcdsp/pcdroot.htm
Worked with my PCI-64 and now works with AWE-64.

73's de  Ko,  NL9222.     JO22KF

----------
From: g3kev <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Date: Saturday, January 08, 2000 10:42 PM

Hello All.
Your comment about your antenna maybe operating like a LOOP is probably
correct.
I would suggest it is performing like a grounded quad. Similar systems
used on 160
and 80 metres where one cannot get a full size quad up.
At 1600 ft long and 50 ft high, think that is what you said, its natural
resonant
frequency used as a grounded quad would be 296 khz. I expect there is
some sort of
It would be interesting to check whether it radiates better as a loop or
a long wire
with the grounded far end disconnected. Judging by experiments in the
past using
loops v verticlals, I think the vertical/long wire approach would be
better for low
angle.
I have tried a variety of loops in the past for 160 metres ie 40 m loop
resonated on
160 and although it was quieter than my full size quarter wave on 160, it
was not as
sensitive and did not pull in the long haul low angle dx, in fact there
were signals
that  I could not hear that I was able to copy solid on the vertical,
although at
times probably noiser. Small loops for short/medium distances of several
hundred
miles are acceptable but for low angle long haul poor on mf/hf.
A full size loop ie quad or delta etc resonant at the operating frequency
and
preferably at least a quarter wave above ground is a totally different
story.
In the UK stations using loops have poor signals compared to those using
verticals,
even low verticals heights with top loading. A couple of stations that
have been
using loops have changed over to verticals and although not very high
made a hugh
difference to their signals received at my qth.
The so called long wire, just a few feet above ground and fed with a drop
wire is
really a top loaded vertical or inv L.
The above comments are a result of experiments and observations,
especially on 137
khz and 1800 khz bands
73 de Mal/G3KEV
Andre' Kesteloot wrote:

> Wooops,
> I guess I did not express myself quite clearly enough.
> The far end of the wire terminates in a field , (and specifically near
a pond)
> visited by many cows.  In order to avoid any possible unpleasantness
(wire
> falling on the ground if broken by the wind, etc.), we decided to
ground that
> end.
> It may well be that the whole thing operates as a loop of sorts, as
there is a
> non-zero resistance between the two grounds (the one at the Tx site,
and the one
> at the pond end)
> 73
> Andre'
>
> Dave wrote:
>
> > Surely the Voltage gradient is just the same but the other way round?
High