LF: Re: re Sound cards

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: re Sound cards
From: "Ko Versteeg" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:11:44 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Alan & others,
Find spectran  at:
http://members.xoom.com/spectran/

73's de  Ko,  NL9222.     JO22KF

----------
From: Alan Melia <[email protected]>
To: rsgb_lf_group <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: re Sound cards
Date: Saturday, January 08, 2000 2:00 PM

Hi All, well I was a bit bemused by the troubles with Spectrogram and PCI
sound cards. I must be lucky. I have had a lot of trouble with emulator
cards and on-board sound cards. I run Spectrogram on a K6-200 (quite
pedestrian these days) under Win95 using a PCI 64 (genuine Creative Labs
version NOT a look-a-like, this may be important) and use 5.5k samples
all
the time, and mostly use 16k FFT points. I have recently been using it
for
long term monitoring around the WA2XTF frequency, and I have NEVER had it
crash on me over 100s of hours of use in the last 9 months. I have not
tried
to use it under DOS. The only probem saving files has occured when there
is
not enough disk space available. I keep forgetting to empty the bin!! The
only time Gram has crashed was when I asked it save a wav. file and it
ran
out of disk space after about 45 minutes (I'm mean and using old small
disks!)

FFTDSP4 objects if I do not run it from a clean boot (it is running on a
machine which also has Win3.1 on it) it just doesn't see the sound card.

 I have aa copy Hamview that was written by the two Italian stations
(I2PHD
and IK2CZL) and runs under DOS also needs a genuine Creative Labs sound
card
as it writes direct to the card. This crashes regularly on my Cyrix MII
-300
with SB-16. Its disadvantage is that it has too wide a spectrum (only 2Hz
resolution) Maybe Spectran is an upgrade??  I havent found that yet but I
see a site in the messages.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]