LF: TF1IT/73kHz etc

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: TF1IT/73kHz etc
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:40:48 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Happy new year and millenium to all - hope it brings you happiness and good fortune.

I too heard an "Icelandic" station on LF - on 3rd of Jan at 1421 utc, calling CQ - but this time the call was TF1IS. The CQ calls stopped as soon as I replied. It was certainly strong enough to be a UK station.

On a different note, I have a NOV for 73kHz operation, but can't actually put out a signal on the band at the moment due to lack of a suitable antenna loading coil. Until I finish struggling with my computer and it's sound card, I also won't have any QRSS capability, but if I cobble together a loading coil I could get on the band with manual CW fairly quickly. If any other fairly local stations who are active on 73kHz would be interested in arranging a sked, I will press ahead and do this - please let me know.

I was interested in the AMRAD beacon WA2TXF/12 and it's 1600ft "earth bipole" antenna - what is the benefit of grounding both ends of the antenna, rather than tuning it up as a 1/4 wave, as OH1TN seems to be doing rather successfully?

Cheers, Jim
73 de M0BMU