LF: RE -QRSS MSGS

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: RE -QRSS MSGS
From: "malcolmg3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:22:30 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
  All messages appearing recently regarding QRSS are stating the
obvious as regards the technicalities. ie signal over noise in a very
narrow bandwidth. No one mentioned the big disadvantage of the time it
takes to have a qso. To date all qrss activity that I have seen could be
copied on normal aural cw at my qth. I suppose if one has a poor
antenna, low power and a noisy qth then maybe qrss is the only way if
you must work on 136 khz. Fortunately I do not have these problems. The
same argument could be used for using qrss on all other radio
frequencies ie 160 and 80 metres but I am not aware that such techniques
are being used.
Commercial operators on LF and VLF have adopted the MSK and PSK
approach.They need speed to move the traffic and cannot spend several
hours on one QSO. On VVLF they  send dash sequences or go outside and
SHOUT at each other.
There is a possibility that qrss could be a lazy mans cw !!
Merry Xmas and HNY to all on LF
73 de Mal/G3KEV