Re: LF: Earth or counterpoise 2

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Earth or counterpoise 2
From: [email protected]
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:33:42 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
Just a couple of thoughts from an old broadcaster's perspective, if I may. The use of radials with an MF or LF vertical antenna has, for several decades, been more for the purpose of enhancing an earth connection than replacing it.

A collection of (usually quarter-wavelength) radials can, of course, replace the earth connection entirely if it is sufficiently remote from earth, serving then as a ground plane. In this instance, it is also possible to model such an antenna as a dipole with one half consisting entirely of end loading, though I don't know if there is any merit in doing so.

As one gets closer to earth, however, the current in each wire of the ground plane induces counterparts in the earth, and the inductive coupling between them means earth losses will show up in antenna losses even with no direct electrical connection. At mediumwave broadcast frequencies, general practice has been to not try to separate the ground plane currents and induced earth currents, but to reduce losses as much as posible by placing the copper of our radials in amongst the earth currents.

To counter a misimpression that sometimes arises when discussing broadcast antennas, let me note that that approach was _not_ chosen because it results in the lowest losses; in practice, that seldom turns out to be the case. However, from an engineering approach, it is more practical to implement than any of the alternatives, and results in a stable antenna system of substantially predictable characteristics.

Alternatives that have been used in MF broadcasting include elevated radial systems (an approach developed using NEC) and counterpoises. The distinction between them is that an elevated radial system does not attempt to isolate the radiator from earth entirely, but to reduce the coupling between the radials and the physical earth enough to minimize earth losses; whereas a counterpoise system attempts to "capture" all of the displacement current of the antenna by virtue of being maintained 180 electrical degrees apart from both the earth and the vertical element simultaneously.

The practical drawback of elevated radials is that both they and the base of the radiator have to be elevated 3 to 5 meters or more above the earth at mediumwave broadcast frequencies to show any net benefit. I know of one elevated radial system here in the southeastern US (a region of terribly low soil conductivity) which reduced loss resistance in the antenna by one third. It might have done better but for the difficulty of elevating all parts of the system any higher.

The practical drawback with counterpoises is the difficulty of establishing and maintaining the electrical balance between the counterpoise, antenna, and earth, necessary to minimize the currents flowing in the earth from the antenna itself. In ideal circumstances, the earth currents are matched by currents of their own within the counterpoise, not related to the current in the antenna. If the requisite balance is not achieved, though, the adverse interactions can cause losses to be worse than for a conventional ground system.

As a consequence of physical limitations most of us endure with our antenna systems, efforts to control losses generally follow the pattern established for MF work: more metal in or above the ground. Results, however, often differ from the expected. Sometimes more radials enhance performance, but sometimes they don't. Sometimes connections to water or gas mains help, and sometimes they hinder. Why?

With the greater depth of skin effect at LF than MF, it appears the interaction of ground plane currents and earth currents is harder to judge by rule of thumb. The earth connection most of us LowFERs achieve with radials at or near the surface is not nearly as close to the effective "virtual height" of ground as it would be at MF. Thus, even with wires planted firmly in the soil, we have a system of radials hovering above the effective ground, with all the attendant losses via the induced currents below, yet simultaneously connected to that virtual ground by way of an infinite number of resistors due to the direct electrical contact with the surface.

Looked at in this way, our conventional ground systems aren't ground planes so much as counterpoise systems, matched (or mismatched) to their environment at random. That might account for why one person adds ground rods to a system and improves his signal, whereas someone else does the same thing but increases his losses. Same laws of physics at work...but different values for the variables, and hence a different way of having to look at them to achieve the desired result.

73,
John  KD4IDY