LF: Fw: Calculating surface wave by AO

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>, "Hans Peltzer, PA0HRP" <[email protected]>, "Ger van Went, PA0GER" <[email protected]>, "Gamal Soegiono" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Fw: Calculating surface wave by AO
From: "Dick Rollema" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 20:47:33 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
To All from PA0SE

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Brian Beezley <[email protected]>
Aan: Dick Rollema <[email protected]>
Datum: donderdag 11 november 1999 15:34
Onderwerp: Re: Calculating surface wave by AO

At 01:38 PM 11/11/99 +0100, you wrote:
Dear Brian,

Already several years ago I bought AO 6.36 and NEC/WIRES 1.62 from you and
keep on using it frequently with very satisfactory results.

My main activity is now on our new LF-band 135.7 - 138.8 kHz. During
daylight hours contacts are mainly by means of the surface wave and though
AO does not compute that I wonder whether by some trick it I still could
find out something about it.

For the benefit of EZNEC users I have asked Roy Lewallen the same question
and he says that the near field option in reality computes the total field
so outside the real near field region the surface wave is approximated.

I presume AO does the same. As a kind of check I had AO compute the "near
field" at the maximum range of 10 km and found that E/H = 120*pi so it
certainly was outside the near field region.

Thank you for your answer which I will put on the e-mail reflector of the
RSGB LF-Group.

73, Dick, PA0SE

No version of AO computes the surface wave but NEC/Wires 2.0 does.

Brian