LF: Report from HB9

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Report from HB9
From: "Toni Baertschi" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 12:14:10 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
From HB9ASB, JN36pt

Vy good condx last night: high signal levels - low noise, but some QSB.
Had a CW QSO with a new station from Italy: I5BQL.
Otherwise not much activity to see on the band the past two weekends. It
seems that the action is concentrated on northern Europe and I probably
can hear and see only the big guns - at least during the day.
Anyway last weekend I had a CW QSO (before sunrise) with SM6PMX and the
weekend before a SCW contact with PA2NJN (daylight): Two new countries
for me.

My LF observations during the vacations in the alps (JN36XC) confirmed
the "barrier effect" of this region. Weak commercial signals during the
day and no amateur signal came trough. At nighttime signals came up and
DCF39 and "the Greek" were strong but always with QSB. I could hear
I5MXX with a very good signal (QRB: 335 km). Portable Equipment: Sangean
ATS909, home brew converter (28 MHz), untuned active Loop (2m Diam.),
passive audio filter (300Hz). Unfortunately no SCW reception possible,
due to strong QRM by the laptop computer and its power supply.

73 de Toni