LF: Re GB2CPM

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re GB2CPM
From: "Peter Dodd" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 21:12:59 GMT
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Peter Dodd, G3LDO
I hope to do some tests from GB2CPM tomorrow, Friday 28th and Sunday 31st of this month. GB2CPM is the callsign of Amberley Industial Museum, formerly known as the Chalk Pits Museum (hence the callsign). The location is about 7km north of Arundel on the South Coast - I will try and find a locator. This museum has an extensive radio museum so it seem fitting that it should be put on the air on 136kHz. The site has been used for hundreds of years as a chalk quarry with kilns for making lime. The result is that there are chasms dug out of a chalk hill here in the South Downs. An antenna has been installed which has a 100m top and is 35m high across one of these chasms. The next problem is what do do about a ground in chalk. The plan is to run a long radial as Dave did on one of his GMexpeditions. The other problem is the shack - I will probably use a mobile environment like I did for the early 73kHz tests. How a 136kHz antenna will work in this environment is unknown. On early receive tests, Loran signal blasts through even though the bulk of the hill blanks the signal path to the south, which means that chalk may be a good insulator, even when wet.
Tomorrow I will make some early tests in the morning. Reports welcome

--
Regards, Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>