LF: re: tuned counterpoise

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: re: tuned counterpoise
From: "Finbar O'Connor" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 20:33:56 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
From  Finbar  EI0CF.

Having  recently  put into service an ex  NDB beacon  ATU,  I now have a spare ATU.  It suddenly struck me, how about a tuned counterpoise. I have now erected one  about 15 feet below the antenna, but it shoots off in different directions to use up the wire, but all at about  12  feet off the ground.  The net result is  an increase  in  Antenna current from  3.9 amps   to  4.6 amps, however I am now experiencing  breakdown of the feedthrough insulator , in the  wooden window frame, causing the current to
drop back to  4.2  amps on average after  a short while on the air,  I can smell the ozone and see  and hear the the blue buzz and sizzle of the arc. But it has certainly made a difference to the Antenna current. Has anybody else experimented on LF with tuned counterpoises.
Tonight the   28th   I have a qrp  beacon running on the band,  1.4 amps.  Any reports would be gratefully received.

73    Finbar     EI0CF