LF: 'Dead spots' on 136

To: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: 'Dead spots' on 136
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 06:27:26 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Dave G3YMC

Peter DF3LP wrote:

"Meinen Glueckwunsch! Es ist erstaunlich, aber ich liege
offensichtlich in einer toten Zone um SM6PXJ. Ausser einigen
Bruchstuecken habe ich noch nie etwas von ihm gehoert. Im
Gegensatz zu SM4DHN, der ist hier sehr laut, aber weiter weg.
Vestehe ich alles nicht..."

Peter is not alone in noticing differences in propogation from different
locations. There is still much we do not know about 136 propogation.  Stations
that some (or many) operators copy very well are sometimes inaudible here,
whereas on other paths I seem to copy as well as anybody.  I have not had any
chance to listen to the SM ops yet, but I have no copy on OH1TN even though
other G stations copy and work him with incredible reports.  However Toni
HB9ASB I often copy well, and I5MXX and IK5ZPV are 579 most evenings. There is
rising ground to the east, and true my loop favours a north-south direction,
but that doesn't fully explain the huge difference in signal strengths I get in
these two directions.  Possibly it is related to things like antenna height (my
loop is quite low).

Do not despair Peter - you may not understand it all, but if you can manage a
QSO with SM4DHN it is all worth it!

73s Dave G3YMC
[email protected]
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/sergeantd