LF: First SM/GW QSO

To: [email protected], "Steve Baugh" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: First SM/GW QSO
From: "Steve Rawlings" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 08:26:22 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a recent posting to the LF Group, Chris SM6PXJ wrote:

I will be on 136.8 at 20.30-21.00z mon-fri this week. Also in the morning at
04.00-04.30z.

Suggestions for other (better) frequencies are welcomed.

Ever since I started listening on 136 kHz, I've been interested to learn more
about LF
propagation - especially in the early mornings.  (Hence the 'Early Bird' tests
of last year.)
Also, members of the Group will recall the report from Mike G3XDV who noticed a
'spot' on a DX
Cluster from RK2FWA, Kaliningrad who had heard my CQ calls around mid-night on
15th May of
this year.

Of course, I was delighted when Chris said he would be QRV so early in the day.
 It so happens
that things came together nicely early in the early morning of Tuesday 12th
October.  Noise
levels were low; there was no breeze; and my biological clock had woken me up
at 0320 UT.  I
got dressed quickly; inflated a couple of balloons with helium; and soon had
the 20 m vertical
'flying'.

I heard Chris at 0402 and simply sent a single 'DE GW4ALG'. That was all Chris
needed to
establish the contact - propagation was fantastic.  We easily exchanged
reports; names; and
locators.  I was very excited!  Of course, at that time of day, I started to
wonder if the
whole QSO had been just a dream!  Later, I checked Chris's web site, and found
me listed as
his 'best DX' at 1294 km [since bettered by his subsequent QSO with IK5ZPV the
following
day.]  Chris's signal faded from S7 at 0402; to S6 at 0420; to S5 at 0440.

This brings my total to 11 countries and 61 stations - all normal CW.

It seems to me that, as a Group, we should do more tests at night.  But many
things have to be
in harmony to make such DX QSOs - especially, at GW4ALG: No Breeze!

Thanks for the QSO, Chris!  A splendid initiative on your part!

Regards to all,
Steve GW4ALG