Re: LF: 73KHz skeds

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 73KHz skeds
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 09:25:47 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
>From Dave G3YMC

I gather from later mails that the tests between G3LDO and G3XDV may have
been on QRSS.  If that were the case then the interrupted carriers I heard
on Tuesday and Wednesday may well have been them, and would have been Q5
copy on normal CW (admittedly buried somewhat in the noise).

No, Dave, apart from one short transmission from me (copied by G3NYK) it was all at about 8-10WPM. We were both, however, using Spectrogram in order to be able to dig deeper into the noise than our ears could. A useful technique is to use both eyes and ears at the same time!

Point to note - identification in normal CW at frequent intervals would
have helped very much in this case.

Yes, when using slow CW, or indeed PSK31, it is important (though easy to forget) to send callsigns at normal speed. It is a legal requirement in the UK, at least every 15 minutes.

Mike Dennison, G3XDV
Publications Manager

* RadCom * Ham Radio Today * GB2RS News *
* RSGB Books and CDs *

Radio Society of Great Britain
Lambda House, Cranborne Road
Potters Bar, Herts UK, EN6 3JE
Tel: +44 (0) 1707 659015; Fax: +44 (0) 1707 645105

RSGB - UK AMATEUR RADIO