LF: Weekend report 31.7.99/01.08.99

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Weekend report 31.7.99/01.08.99
From: "'Geri' Kinzel, DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 07:41:27 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello, frinds of the long wave,

wow! What a weekend!

For me surely the most active and most succesful weekend since I started LF
operation.

Hopefully I am not the new crocodile in town now. I called cq and was
called by stations that heard me much better than I heard them. I even was
called by stations that heard me but that I could not hear. So, this leaves
some room for improvement.

Slow-CW:

Finally I managed to get Bernd,DF8ZR in the log on Friday night. Saw "the
usual suspects" calling cq or calling each other (DF3LP, DJ5BV, G3XDV,
clearly detectable by his typical signal coming up from the cellar
stabilizing 2nd floor after a few dashes, Mike, your signal was very good
on Sunday morning!)

Normal CW:

Well, this was the most successful operation mode for me this weekend.

Saturday, July 31, 1999

worked ON7YD (-105 dB, equivalent to S5 (S9=100 uV)
worked DJ2LF (signal only 1 dB above noise floor, so only 329, very weak
but we managed somehow)
workedPA0LEG (forgot to measure his signal strength, gave 449)
worked PA0SE (finally managed to have a QSO with Dick, -97 dB)
heard DL3FDO (but was not able to raise his attention)

Sunday, August 1, 1999

worked G3XTZ (-104 dB, thank you for you patience, Grahame, and thanks for
the 349)
worked DF2PY (-86 dB!, finally Wolf was able to hear me above the noise
level, what have you done to improve your reception, Wolf?)

Reception reports:
I received some reception reports, one from Steve, GW4ALG, who heard my
normal CW QSO with DJ2LF yesterday (880 km away!), and by Ha-Jo, DJ1ZB, who
heard the same QSO. He tried to call me, but I was not able to copy him
(congrats btw, Ha-Jo on the first DL/OE QSO, I heard nothing from the
OE5-dxpedition). Also Dave, G3YXM reported that he heard my CW signal.

I also was not able to copy EI0CF's bacon on 137.192, I saw a weak signal
right in between two LORAN-lones, but I was not able to positively identify
his callsign.

What have I done to improve my signal?

So, what have I done to improve my signal? Well, basically I switched from
a low-hanging Marconi T-antenna (8 to 12m high, antenna partly hanging in
trees) to a free-standing umbrella antenna, 15m high, with four top-load
radials. Two of the radials are still too long, following the advise of
DF3LP and DJ1ZB (thanks) I already shortened two, which brought up the
signal by 3 or 4 dB (according to Peter, DF3LP). I will work on the other
top-load radials soon. When the top-load radials come close to leaves or
trees, I have the same burning and flashing effect that was described bhy
others earlier this week.
The fibre-glas mast is a telescopic mast made by Van der Ley, maximum
height is 18m (so far I only dare to lift it up to 15m), bottom diameter is
about 60mm, top section 20mm. It takes less than 15 seconds to lower it and
push it up again (very conveneint for experiments). The antenna consists of
a 1.5 mm^2 Litz wire, strapped to the mast. The top-load radials consist of
two parallel litz wires, 1mm diameter each, 2mm seperated (there is no
particular reason for that, I just had enogh of that twin-wire available).
All in all it is still a relatively simple setup and qualifies for a
"backyard-setup", although my garden is slightly larger (30m x 40m).
A sketch of my antenna setup can be found on my homepage
(http://www.dk8kw.home.pages.de), follow the link "Details of my station".

Best 73, thanks to those who called and work me, and those who called me in
vain: hope to hear or work you next!

Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)