LF: Loops for RX

To: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Loops for RX
From: "Dave Sergeant" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 01:45:45 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Dave G3YMC

The recent discussion on receive loops has largely involved relatively
small multiturn loops (frame and ferrite rod).  I have no experience on
these for 136.  However I would like to comment that my transmit loop
(100ft circumference and high Q) is an excellent low noise receiving
antenna and picks up virtually no local electrical noise compared with my
untuned 65ft long wire.  A quick test this morning showed Finbar's beacon
fully Q5 on the loop (as always) but uncopyable on the longwire, as it was
swamped by noise.  Static, TV carriers and the like are similar on both
antennas, but it is local electrical hash and fluorescent noises which are
absent on the loop.  Mike G3XDV commented about the good receive properties
of loops when I worked him a couple of weeks ago.

73s Dave G3YMC