LF: Re: Radials and Trees

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Radials and Trees
From: "'Geri' Kinzel, DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 07:09:53 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Peter, DF3LP wrote:

I got the best results from buried non-insulated ground wires with stokes
at far ends.<

I have followed Peter's advise recently and used a 2.4m ground-rod, washed
down in the previously described way wish a water-hose and high pressure
(reminds me of my QRL, I am working as a drilling engineer in the petroleum
industry, we do the same thing on a bigger scale, can you imagine: a 20.000
ft deep ground rod ...). I just buried the radial (20m of highly corrosion
resistant wire, also from the petroleum industry, they use it to lower
measurement instruments into the borehole) 5 to 10 cm but improved my
losses from 100 Ohm down to about 80 Ohms. There is plenty of wire left
(and some more ground rods) so I hope to further reduce my losses.

But I had another observation regarding leaves: after being dry for weeks,
we suddenly had rain yesterday. My losses suddenly rose dramatically, until
I removed one of the top-loads of my umbrella-antenna from the trees. Now I
am back to my previous antenna current again.

Best 73

Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)