Re: LF: field strength measurement again

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: field strength measurement again
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 16:06:29 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
G3NYK wrote:
To Mike yes I do use the steady signals of the 'beacons' for tests, but what
does S9 mean?? Its a strong signal but is it 10uV/m or 1V/m. Most of the
radios I have have S-meter sensitivity controls so you can set S9 at
whatever you like!  I'd love to tell you by how much you have improved your
system.

OK, I agree this is very crude system, especially as some rigs, like my IC-706, have black squares representing each S-point or each '10dB' over 9. So there's no prospect of getting real numbers out of it - unless properly calibrated - but it can help as a very crude measure, especially as you know the signals you are checking are not only in the far field but have some sky-wave, too. There's no substitute for doing it right. Of course, a nice compromise is the Selective Level Measuring Set - when I think of the SLMSs and other test gear (capacitance bridge, 1Hz resolution VFOs, LF fundamental crystals) which I put in a skip when I worked for a telecom company a few years ago, it makes me cry!!

Thanks for the report on the main signal and the spacer.

Just a thought as you are using a mixer source...have you tried keying one
crystal oscillator? I find that quite clean and stable. It might be an easy
mod.

Actually, I still use a straight Clapp VFO and a two-transistor Buffer/Keying stage. I like the two-crystal (XO +VXO) system but haven't got round to building one yet - have tended to concentrate on the size of the signal.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm