LF: Measuring field strength

To: "LF-Group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Measuring field strength
From: "Dick Rollema" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 15:18:55 +0200
Cc: "Koos Fockens, PA0KDF" <[email protected]>
Sender: <[email protected]>
To All

You can measure field strength yourself when you  have access to a selective level meter.

Connect the meter to an untuned circular loop of one turn.

When such a loop with a diameter of D meter is positioned for maximum signal in a field of E volt per meter and frequency 137 kHz a voltage is induced in the loop of e = 0.00225*D^2*E (e in volt; D^2 means D squared, * means multiplication).
To get a useful voltage the loop should not be too small: give it a diameter of 1 m or so.
With a loop of 1.35 m diameter DCF39 produces 8 microvolt at my location.

In theory the loop should not be loaded by the meter but at 137 kHz the impedance of the loop is so low that it makes hardly any difference whether the input of the meter is open circuit, 50, 75 or whatever ohms.

When you don't have a level meter but do have access to a signal generator with calibrated output you could use it to measure the input/output characteristic of your LF-receiver and then use the receiver as a level meter.

I possess a signal generator with a tracking selective level meter type PSM 5 made by Wandel & Goltermann but the instrument is mains fed and very heavy so it cannot be used in the field.

I therefore have constructed a small portable battery-fed field strength meter. It is a direct conversion receiver with a tuned and electrically screened ferrite antenna. The receiver has two audio outputs. One is for headphones to tune the meter to the wanted
signal; the other for a digital multimeter set to an AC range. The measured voltage has a linear relation to the field strength.

I calibrated the instrument by placing it in a known field generated by a pair of so called Helmholtz-coils connected to a signal generator.

When the description of my contraption is ready and circuit diagram and photographs scanned I will put it on the reflector.

A very useful article in this respect was written by Heinz Scherz, DJ3ON, in CQ-DL of April 1998 with title "Feldstaerkemessgeraete und Ihre Kalibrierung".

Beware: In the centre column of the first page you find a formula for the voltage induced in a loop when placed in an magnetic field. In that formule pi^3 shopuld be pi^2!

73, Dick, PA0SE
JO22GD
D.W. Rollema
V.d. Marckstraat 5