Re: LF: Field strength measurement....Rik

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Field strength measurement....Rik
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:45:35 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Alan Melia wrote:
    I have been grappling with the idea that I need to know how good (or how
bad!) my antenna is on reception. After several months of listening and
slight changes I know it isn't good enough...but how do I know if I have
built a better one or improved it?

I use the simple method of monitoring LF beacons close to the 136kHz band, notably the DCF beacon on 138.82 and the Greek RTTY just below 136kHz. The German one is remarkably stable on ground wave, but has a useful sky wave component after dark. The Greek signal is almost completely sky wave (it is audible sometimes all day) but has a stable maximum strength on most days.

These give a practical measure of how good the antenna is at a distance which is really what is required.

Of course, if it is purely receiving you are interested in, the signal to noise is more important than simple signal strength, but I can also measure the relative noise level on the S meter (when local QRM generators are off - an increasingly rare occurrence).

As a 'ball park' figure, DCF should be several tens of dB over 9 and the Greek RTTY should be S9 (at night) for a noise reading of less than S3.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm