LF: Noise-Log

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Noise-Log
From: "Holger 'Geri', DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:59:02 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Lowfers,

after a couple of Slow-CW skeds failed in the afternoon or evening, I have
logged the background noise level at my QTH throughout a 24-hour period
(for details either see http://www.dk8kw.home.pages.de, follow the link
"Chart of the background noise" or got directly to
http://home.t-online.de/home/dk8kw/noise.htm).

The interesting result is, that early at 04.00 UTC (!) is the best time for
a sked. Until 10.00 UTC the noise level raised slightly. After 10.00 UTC
until 04.00 UTC it is nearly constantly high, so that only strong signals
can be detected. I do not know exactly where the noise comes from nor did I
yet try to eliminate it by using a directional antenna. However, the sudden
fall in background noise just before 04.00 UTC makes it very evident, that
it is some kind of men-made nosise.

So, again like in real life: the early-bird catches the fly!

Cu early in the morning, best 73

Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)