LF: Re: Operating times

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Operating times
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:00:42 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

Lets resume the discussion about a talk back frequency and a special
operation time as df2py suggested. I am not sure if there was an agreement.

I have been puzzled by the call for special operating times, and I think it may be driven by those outside the centre of activity who do not know when most activity occurs now.

Quite simply, the vast majority of 136kHz activity takes place on Saturday and Sunday mornings from about 0600 to 1000 UTC. This is because many people are at home and the QRN and electrical QRM are at their lowest.

There is an opportunity for low noise QSOs between 0600 and 0730 UTC most days - but best to set up skeds, and if the QRN is low there is a peak of activity for an hour or so after sunset in the evening.

But if you want QSOs, go for weekend mornings.

Also, if any newcomers don't know, activity tends to peak between 136.4 and 137.0kHz and you can find extremely slow CW around 137.7kHz.

Another tip: if you are making fewer QSOs than you think you should, check this reflector to find out if you have been heard by people you cannot hear - then perhaps spend some time on the receive system. Old amateur radio saying: "If you can't hear them, you can't work them."

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm