LF: Frequency separation: Normal CW operation

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: Frequency separation: Normal CW operation
From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:17:00 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

I advised the operator that we tend to assume a receive IF bandwidth of
250 Hz and generally aim to maintain a 300 Hz separation from other
stations.  (I believe that 300 Hz has been the figure quoted during LF
Group discussions and at the LF Forum.)  I hope I did the right thing.

But with the fancy new receivers now available (which I'll probably
never be able to afford!), does the Group still feel 300 Hz to be a
reasonable separation for normal CW operation?

Over 10% of the entire band just to allow guard bands!!

What is wrong with some post Rx audio filtering - 50Hz BW is hardly
difficult even with analogue filters.

As I've now given up LF (it's become boring and 'just another operators
band')  others can make more valid comments.

I notice in the call for papers for the July HF2000 conference in Guildford,
there is section scheduled  on amateur 73 / 137kHz activities.  Does anyone
on this reflector know who proposed this or is writing a paper.  The
conference organiser I spoke to did not know where it came from !

Andy  G4JNT