Re: LF: good signals - deaf receivers

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: good signals - deaf receivers
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 09:31:27
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 21:32 15/04/99 +0100, G3YXM wrote:
On another subject; does anyone know of a list of LF NDBs for the UK? There
is one near my GM QTH callsign "NGY" which I DF'd when I was up there and
took some pictures..   http://www.pick.force9.co.uk/ngy.htm and when
listening round I found I could here dozens of them. I'd be interested to
know where they are!

Hello Dave and others,

a good list of NDB's and other radiobeacons can be found at :

  http://www.iol.ie/~markzee/wand.htm

The list can be downloaded as Excel-file, so it is easy to use for looking up.

By the way, NGY is located in New Galloway (55°10'38"N/04°10'02"W) and is
on 399kHz according to this list.

Another thing about the 'deaf receiver discussion' :
I do not agree with the opninion that 100mW is not enough to work upto
1000km (and more) since I worked over 1600km (OH1TN) with an estimated ERP
of about 70mW. I think that others (eg. G4GCV, GW4ALG) worked up to 1900km
with ERP's arround 100 to 200mW.
Now I am running about 140mW ERP and for the last weeks I have heard at
least 4 stations regulary with 10 to 20dB S/N ('armchair copy') but I'm not
able to attract their attention. Assuming that these stations run 1W ERP
and that my 140mW ERP is 8.5dB below this, I should produce at least a 0dB
S/N signal with them (sufficient for a CW QSO).
So my pledge still is : work on your receiver-situation and don't be misled
by S9+++ commercial stations that might give you the idea that your RX is
OK. To my experience the keyword is 'intermodulation-surpression', so try
to attenuate the incoming antenna-signal until the external noiselevel
(normally caused by QRN) is just above the RX-noisefloor. You won't gain
any sensitivity if the external noise is 10 or 20dB over the RX-noisefloor,
it will only increase the IM-products. Remind that for every dB you can
attenuate the incoming antenna-signal, the IM-products will be reduced by
2dB (so you may gain 1dB in absolute sensitivity).

73, Rik

Rik Strobbe  ON7YD
[email protected]
Villadreef 14  B-3128 Baal  BELGIUM   (JO20IX)