LF: GW/P Activity 4 - 10 April

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: GW/P Activity 4 - 10 April
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 11:46:44 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Spent an enjoyable and relaxing week at the /P QTH in SW Wales. Went out three times with the lF gear - note that because of some very close power lines I cannot operate from indoors.

Easter Day 4 April

Quick check during the evening with receiver and 1m loop antenna. Heard Toni, HB9ASB at 439.

Tuesday 6th

Sked with Peter, G3LDO, on 73kHz. Set up station on the beach, several hundred metres from the car. Many problems and got station set up more than an hour late. Failed to get any current into the antenna on 73, though 136kHz worked fine. After three hours, exhausted, cold, wet, and covered with sand, we (myself and my younger son David, 2E1DAV) gave up.
Saturday 10th

Another attempt at 73kHz from a car park near the sea. Rig problems this time - VFO which worked fine earlier in the week now refused to tune below 74kHz.

With only 45 minutes of operating time available, we went on 136. Heard DJ8CY/P at 439c but too many callers. Worked G4GVC who was 589, and gave me 579 - 2 s-points up on my previous visit (success at last). Also worked G3XTZ (he was 599, gave me 579) and G3KEV who was 579 and gave me 329. G3KEV was 420km away and my best DX from a field portable site.

Lessons learned:

Must do some dummy runs on 73kHz from field outside home QTH to get loading right in advance.

Rig must be more robust.

Do not try to operate from a beach - the sand gets everywhere, and there are too many questions to answer from 'visitors'.

I shall be back in GW in August.

Thanks to Peter for his patience and work in getting his 73kHz station set up to listen for me. Better luck next time.

A much longer description of the operation can be found at the web site address below.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm