LF: Weekend report

To: "lfgroup" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Weekend report
From: "Kate Moore" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 09:10:21 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

Very interesting conditions this weekend on 136kHz, with lots of activity.
Countries heard: G, GW, ON, PA, DJ, HB9, OZ, I and LX.

Stations worked here using normal speed CW:

Friday 9/4
G4HYU (14.54UT: he was 589, gave me 599), G6NB (15.05: 579, 59+9), HB9ASB
(18.52: 569, 569), DJ2LF/P (19.16: 559, 519), I5MXX (19.42: crossband QSO -
he was 559 on 136.9kHz, gave me 579 on 3530kHz), GW4ALG (19.59: 589, 599).

Saturday 10/4
GW3XDV/P (09.02: 579, 589), G6NB (14.48: 57/89 59+9).

Sunday 11/4
IK5ZPV (07.08: 559, 229), DJ8CY/P (08.54: 569, 529), DJ5DI (09.50: 559,
539)
PA0SE (10.12: 579, 579), G3KAU (12.35: 59+9, 599).

Conditions were unusual on Friday evening with heavy, slow QSB on most
DX signals. The first distant station I heard was DJ8CY/P, but I couldn't
seem to attract his attention despite Dave 'YXM managing an easy contact
with
him. Wondering if my antenna was playing up, I tuned around and found Toni
HB9ASB close by with a very good signal. I called Toni and we exchanged
excellent reports, probably the best QSO we have had. Very strange.

I tuned back up the band and found ON7YD working the German guys, and kindly
telling them I was also calling (thanks Rik - appreciate it!). Unfortunately
their signal had gone way down and I5MXX was calling CQ right over the top
of Rik at almost the same strength, making things very complicated.......
I waited for a break on the frequency; the German station (now DJ2LF/P) came
back up in strength, so I called them again and this time had a good QSO.

As I completed that QSO, I5MXX began calling "QSX 3530" so I gave him a call
on 80m and he came straight back to me on 136. We had an excellent crossband
contact; I also gave him a call on his frequency, but he copied nothing of
me
despite him peaking RST-569 during the crossband. When we finished, I heard
OH1TN also call Marzio on 80m and give him a 449 report from Finland!

I was quite active on Saturday morning, but was consciously trying to keep
out of the way of the German guys who were doing very well working loads of
stations, so I didn't work very much myself. I was pleased to get a call
from
Mike, /P in Wales, putting out an excellent signal despite the strong winds.

As Valerio IK5ZPV had heard me several weeks ago when I was trying to work
I5MXX and I heard him last weekend, we had arranged a sked for 07.00UT
Sunday
morning. I got up early and put out a few hopeful "CQ DX" (!!) calls on
frequency, but raised nothing. Then at 06.57UT Valerio appeared at about
RST-339 calling me. I replied, but no joy. At 07.00 he called me again, a
little stronger at 449, but still didn't hear my several replies. After a
few
minutes he called me yet again, now a good 559, and this time he heard me! I
didn't get a very good report, but the contact progressed cleanly and
Valerio
confirmed his report back fine, so we made a good QSO at last - excellent!
When we'd finished, Dave 'YXM who had been waiting patiently by, made a very
good contact with Valerio, making it look very easy...... well done Dave!

After that the band began to get very busy again. I made a good contact with
Gun DJ8CY/P, the other operator in the German special operation, followed by
relaxed chats with Fred DJ5DI and Dick PA0SE. Later I was called by Lech
G3KAU who is now a monster signal with his new QRO PA.

        Regards  John G4GVC near Leicester, IO92JP

   **  TX: Synth + 400W RF from modified 'G3YXM' Mosfet PA           **
   **  RX: TS-850S with 3 x CW filters and 0.5ppm TCXO               **
   **  Ant: Inv-L 60m long, 6m high at feed end, 12m high at far end **