LF: SLOW-CW pile-ups (chopped mail)

To: "RSGB_LF_GROUP" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: SLOW-CW pile-ups (chopped mail)
From: "Peter Bobek" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 10:12:51 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello All,

unfortunately the original mail got chopped again due to a single dot
some host put at the begin of a line* I am going to avoid dots this time
and repeat the complete message with my own ideas which were chopped of
at the end* Thanks to all who already commented* There were some valuable
informations to think about now*

Sorry also for cancelling my own DA0LF SLO-CW activity due to health
reasons (thanks to Geri/DK8KW who relayed the info from our
packet-cluster)* But we are already talking about the next expedition*

The two guys who are doing the Normal-CW mode now (DJ2LF and DJ8CY)
are good CW-OPs and they also received a long list with calls to look
for* I also told them to preferably use 136,5-136,8 kHz*
Good luck to all who are trying to work DL in FAST CW this weekend!
Peter/DJ8WL (also DA0LF)

***************repeated mail in full length*******************
DL-activity from JO40BP (April 10th-11th, 1999)

Hi all,

when DA0LF was testing last weekend I encountered a problem which was
rather new to me: pile-ups in SLOW-CW!
I know how to handle this in regular CW - but even though I was able to
hear 4 stations at the same time there were two more calling exactly on top
of each other (within <0,5 Hz)* Is there anyone who could tell me from his
own experience what to do in SCW if this happens again next weekend? I have
a certain idea, please carry on reading*

The announcement of the DL-expedition has brought some direct feedback
(thanks!) but at the same time also has created some fear in my heart
we might probably hear you all but can only reply to one caller at a time*
When the qso is finished (15-30 minutes later depending on dotlength) all
the others might have gone since they did not know
they were heard!

Please do not call us exactly on our own frequency in SCW, spread out
a few Hz but stay within a window -10 *** + 10 Hz* Be patient after you
finished your call* We might still be trying to also copy another station
with a longer callsign* Send your call only once and keep your exchanges as
short as possible*

What we plan to do - when coming back - is to first "mark" all the
frequencies of stations (if there were more than one) we have heard using
one "ping" (=dot) 10 seconds long exactly on the caller´s frequencies* QSY
between the individual frequencies will be done with the carrier "ON"* Thus
you can follow us and you will also know we have heard you! Then we start
the qsos* We shall call you exactly on your frequency (we can tune in 0,01
Hz steps - if required - but most likely will use 1 Hz steps only)!

***We are still open for comments* Any good ideas that will help to increase the efficiency and make as many qsos as possible are very
welcome!***

All written above applies to SLOW CW only* FAST CW does not need this*

Cu next weekend (SLOW and FAST CW)*

Regards,
Peter/DJ8WL (also: DA0LF)

UNFORTUNATELY SLOW-CW is not possible this time (see explanation above)*