Re: LF: Smoking load coil ...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Smoking load coil ...
From: "Peter W. Schnoor" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 00:17:48 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Gang,
Hi Marco,

M. Bruno wrote:

I discovered that plywood is not a good insulator, expecially
after a rainy weekend and with 21 kV on it .... :(((

Go to the next restaurant! Drink and eat somewhat, not too
expensive! Then ask for the biggest old bucket from trash!
They all have an impressive collection of nice coil formers
for trash mostly made of Polypropylene (!). The first I
tried had approx. 40cm in diameter. Too floppy without
cover! Then I tried the next: 37 cm dia and I got 1.6mH with
2.5mm^2 heavy litz wire very stable. The windings can be
hold in place by passing the wire through holes into and out
of the bucket at the end of windings. Here a smaller bucket
with the rest of the coil is upside down inside the bigger
one.
Do not forget to ask for the right cover! It helps
stabilizing the whole. Then sew a supporting net made from
flat PP-belt material. Red looks fine with green windings
(not good for Easter but next Christmas is not far away!).

Now, IK1ODO QRT.

Think about Phoenix. Hope to hear from you soon again!

54°16'N / 10°04'E, JO54ag
73 es gl de Peter, DF3LP