LF: Weekend report 27-29 March

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Weekend report 27-29 March
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:44:48 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
A quiet weekend for activity but some interesting signs that conditions were special:

Friday 27 March

Heard G6NB (579).

Worked GW4ALG who was best signal yet at 58/99; gave me 569.

Very good DX conditions late evening with Greek RTTY (135.8kHz) at S9+10 and DBF39 at S9+50, both 10dB (one blob on the LED) up on normal. This lasted from about 2100 to 0000UTC.

Saturday 28 March Heard G3YXM (599), PA0LQ (549), G4GVC (599), G3KEV (599), GW4ALG using his balloon-supported 20m vertical (599 - best yet), EI0CF (549). And a very weak signal ending in 'PY', perhaps DF2PY.

Worked G8RW. Gave 579, got 569. RTTY just below 137kHz (possibly from the USA) went from S2 at 1800 to S9 at 0230UTC.

Sunday 29 March Nothing heard in the morning. Perhaps it was the change of clock time, or the sunny day.

Dismantled antenna mast ready to take it to GW next Friday.

Interesting to hear that others found the conditions special. There was a theory that a high A index resulted in good conditions but it was in fact low. There's plainly much that we do not yet understand.

I am now QRT until I operate from Wales.

Thanks to all those who sent suggestions for plotting signal strength.

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm