LF: Unusual Conditions March 28, 1999?

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Unusual Conditions March 28, 1999?
From: "'Geri' Kinzel, DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 11:03:21 -0500
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello Lowfers,

In a packet radio message, Marko, IK1HSS reports, that he might have heard LX1PD today for the first time. He asked, if someone can confirm that LX1PD was QRV this morning and if someone else reported some unusual conditions today.

I can not confirm, that LX1PD was QRV today, but I can confirm that we had some unusual conditions.

This morning I could see HB9ASB in a very clear 'o'-signal in slow-CW.
That was the strongest signal I saw for him so far. Later today, I had a
slow-CW QSO with DJ8WL, Peter, who normally is strong and steady. This time we had fading periods ranging up and down 20 dB or more, with signals
completely diappearing during an over. On the other hand Peter reported,
that during a signal peak he even could hear my signal (429). I had never
before experienced such a high QSB level, expecially on a path of only
284 km.
A couple of minuted ago (15.50 UT) I heard G3KEV on 136.300 kHz calling cq.
His signal was unusually strong, approx. 20 dB over the noise floor. Tried
give him a call - no success.

I wonder if anybody else had some unusual to report today. Anything special
from the sun such as high k-values?

Best 73

Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)