LF: earth tests

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: earth tests
From: "John Taylor" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 17:30:56 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
This is being written before any reports have been received (if any are!).
The 920m base was established eventually, after various open-circuit panics.
( A BT oscillator and amplifier kit used for finding line faults are
invaluable pieces of equipment.  The conductor had broken but not the
insulation).
50 Hz impedance was about 55 ohms.  (the 200m base is around 25 ohms).  It
is safe to say that most, if not all of the extra was from the additional
800m of wire that was used.  I had put 4 electrodes in at the far end some
weeks ago and had salted them.
Impedance at 71.85 kHz was c.100 ohms and a current of 1.9A flowed in the
circuit.  Impedance at 137.05 kHz was c.125 ohms and a current of 0.9A
flowed.
Problems were experienced with QRS 1.16 at the 10 second dot length
setting - TX came on for very short periods with very long gaps in between.
This will be relayed to Rick.  I had to send at a 5 second dot period - this
setting functioned OK.
Did it get anywhere?  I await a reply.  I spoke to G4GVC by telephone who
said that Rugby was on and wiping out his 73 kHz reception.  He said that
the 136 kHz band was very lively but would  unfortunately not be around to
listen to my later transmission on 137.05.
73
John Taylor  G0AKN
[email protected]