Re: LF: QRSs

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: QRSs
From: "M. Bruno" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 19:40:44 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 15.05 11/03/99 GMT, you wrote:
Rik, ON7YD suggested the following method of reporting in SCW and this seems to have been adopted by all operators using this mode

   T = too weak to read (so longer dotlength required)
   M = weak but sufficient for a QSO
   O = 100% readable

Rik also suggested the following additions

   S = strong enough to shorten dotlength
   A = strong enough to be copied in normal CW

What tends to happen in practice is that if the signal is audible then a RST report is sent. If it is sent in the form, say '42N' (the N being a delimiter rather than a tone) I cannot see anything wrong with that. It has been suggested that to use four dashes _ _ _ _. This could be used to say 'the signal is audible and reduce the dot size if you want to get the QSO over a bit quicker'.

The simplest solutions are nearly always the best.

Agreed. Maybe a step between 'O' and RST is desirable.
I propose to use 'T','M','O','OS' (sent only one time), or '43N'.
If you receive 'OS' you should shorten the dot time. Next question: how short? I think that a step of 3 times is OK,
so from 3 sec to 1 sec.

73 de IK1ODO Marco

Rivalta, ITALY JN35SA (N 45 01' 25.6", E 7 31' 09.4")